5.29.2008

so...

I'm now the girl who passed out on the concrete floor at the quarterly company meeting and had to be taken to the emergency room for a few stitches. Which is REALLY good to be when you're the two-week-old intern.

No worries folks, I just have a pretty awesome bruise on my jaw where my stitches are. I got the day off of work, and lots of sympathy :) You know it's good when both of your bosses pick you up from the hospital and take you home.

A few tips I've learned from experience today:

1) Eat more than cereal for breakfast.
2) Drink LOTS of water, not just a little bit.
3) Don't lock your knees when you have to stand at the back of a presentation for a long time.
4) If you start to feel warm and dizzy, SIT DOWN. The fall will be a lot shorter.
5) If you want to be more than just the lowly nameless intern in the basement, black out in front of everyone in your company except the president (who had just left and will likely hear about it) and get taken off in an ambulance.
6) Try to sit down if you're being shown videos of a surgery. Even if you're not squeamish about blood, a combination of several of the above problems might take you out.
7) Have a sense of humor when you completely humiliate yourself.
8) Work for the kind of supervisors who will drive to the hospital, sit with you, and take you home (which I do) and with the kind of people who will call you to see if you want to go get ice cream after they get off work since you're new in town and don't know many people (also, I do).

Fortunately, I am blessed to work for great (and compassionate) people who are really concerned about me and just want me to get better. So for now I'm just going to eat lots of mashed potatoes and soup and get my 5 stitches out in a few days.

Oh, and for the record...I'M NOT PREGNANT (this is the first question at least 10 people will ask you if you pass out and go to the hospital). Just in case you were wondering.

:)

No comments: