6.29.2007

things I don't understand (part two)

Why are we girls so mortally afraid of learning how to drive a manual-transmission vehicle?

I don't remember why I decided to buy my first car before I could drive it. Mom had to test drive it for me, and she hadn't tried in quite a while so we had a few good laughs. Maybe I wanted to be cool because I would be a girl with a stick shift. Maybe it was the challenge. Maybe I was stupid. Whatever my reason was, it turned out to be a really good idea.

I cannot even begin to count how many of my friends have gotten in my car and made some comment very similar to "I'm impressed. I could never drive this!"

WHY NOT? Ok, I'll admit--I cried after my first lesson. But that was only because I was afraid I had just bought a car I would never be able to drive. THAT'S scary. And the only reason I didn't get it the first time was because my dad wanted me to be able to balance the car on a hill before I even knew how to move in a lateral direction like "forward." My poor new car reacted to my fear by stalling. Often.

I reacted to my fear by crying.

So, for all of my female friends out there (and the guys too, you're not alone), I would like to give you my favorite reasons why I think you should learn how to drive my car:

1) While the helpless girl image works for us most of the time, you have to admit that it's a lot of fun to know what you're doing. Especially if your male friends don't.

2) It's a lot of fun. Seriously. I hope I always have a stick shift. I really really like driving it.

3) If you are ever on a road trip with me and I die or am seriously injured, I would like to think that you could get me home or to a hospital. Or if I need to sleep/not drive any more, I can do that too (which is the more likely of those situations).

4) Your transmission lasts longer. Basically, and I won't take long on this, you are changing the gears instead of your car having to try on its own. Which means those parts won't wear out nearly as quickly.

5) You use less gas. I don't know enough about it to talk about it without sounding stupid, so I won't try. But I like that I use less gas. May I recommend also that you get a small car, and get a Honda. Both gas-savers. Thus, I have a small Honda with a manual transmission in my driveway.

6) It's really NOT as hard as we've made it out to be. Once you get used to it, you really don't even think about it. I'm at the point where I can be on the phone, eating lunch, and driving all at once. I don't recommend it, but it's possible.

7) Did I mention it's fun?

No comments: