4.30.2008

dreams

I've learned that what you dream of rarely turns out the way you plan it or imagine...sometimes better than you could ever expect, sometimes you get disappointed. But here it is - what I dream of for my life.

~A life fully devoted to my Savior. Every morning waking up, as my mom would say, with a song of worship in my heart and in my head. Seeing God's hand move in the lives of the people around me, and watching him infuse our lives with his reality and his tangible/visible presence. I won't compromise this one.

~Leaving this world with the love of one man, a relationship that above all else has pointed me consistently in the direction of the true divine romance, still a very real part of me after years of the world cutting in. Serving and adoring and being pursued by my best friend. Fighting for it. And being able to look my husband in the eye seventy years from now and say that he's still the greatest and most passionate love affair of my life and that our wedding day was the most distant we ever felt from each other from that point on.

~I want to adopt children. Don't ask me how many, I don't know. But children who have no family need excesses of love, and that is one thing I can give them in abundance.

~Turning a highly-paid, grossly mis-motivated industry into a career with a purpose to serve and aid and love people the way Jesus loves them.

~Being surrounded by people I respect, love, and am challenged/encouraged by on a daily basis. Basically having amazing friends, and not just while I'm in college and unmarried.

~Having a dog. Not any time soon, but I really like the idea of a morning walk with my dog. Not tiny sissy dogs - "robust" enough to still be a respectable and outdoor activity-loving canine, but not so big he won't be perfectly happy with me hugging him all the time. I'm a cuddler. I expect my dog to be. Is that so much to ask?

~Having adventures. Exploring. Traveling. Pushing my own limits from time to time. Trespassing.

Did I say that?

~Staying healthy and enjoying life outside of my living room. I'm actually kind of the outdoors type. Surprise!

~Having a close-knit family. My kids are going to be really good friends with their cousins. I'm going to talk to my brother regularly and we're going to spend holidays together. No matter where I am or what country my mom's in, I'm never going to be too old to be her little girl or to need her advice. All of that is kind of (very) important to me.

~I plan on singing until the day I die. All for Jesus. I made that commitment years ago.

~I want to be the best mom of all time. I have a really high standard to live up to...thanks Mom, you made my job harder :)

~I don't ever - EVER - want to stop believing that anything is possible, or that life is good, or that I should be an idealist.

Ephesians 3:20-21

No comments: